April 8, 2013

The Art of Collecting

I have been collecting things since I was a little girl. Unlike other children who were bribed by their parents with candy or toys, my mother used to bribe me to go into antique malls with her under the alluring notion that I could pick out one item for myself to take home and display in my room. I'm talking anything and everything from cookie cutters, vintage purses, or even bits of ribbon and trim - I collected it all. And thus, my love for collecting antique and vintage items, and the idea for Twisted Vintage Textiles, was born. Of course, my collections have matured over the years, but just as when I was a little girl, I still proudly display them in my home for all to see. Today, I thought I would share with you two of my favorite collections: my vintage fashion labels and my purses.

Over the years, I began to collect vintage fashion labels just for fun. I think that the old labels are beautiful; they're like mini works of art. So much thought went into designing these labels, and they are a far cry from the measly little things that adorn our clothes today. As my collection grew, I thought it would be fun to display them in a unique way, and voila: instant art!


Now, for my purses. I absolutely love vintage purses. Period. I mean, let's be real...I stood in line at an estate sale one time for SIX HOURS just to get a single purse. Please don't call me crazy! Over the years, I have collected everything from 1940s beaded evening bags to 1950s lucite creations and everything in between. Here are a few of my most prized purses. It's hard to pick favorites, people!


I hope you've enjoyed seeing a little sneak peek of my favorite collections! 

Happy Hunting Y'all!
xx, Mary Aubrey

No comments:

Post a Comment